Torrance, CA - 2008 was a great season for Scion and the JD team, nabbing a national championship at Mid-Ohio. But the team is now preparing for new challenges this weekend as they prepare to enter the first race of the Western Endurance Racing Championship (WERC) series as Buttonwillow Raceway Park this weekend.
The team already has had two impressive showings in their Performance Touring series at Willow Springs and Auto Club Speedway. After those two events, the team sits solidly in second place in PTC in the points standings, just 25 points away from first.
This weekend, though, will be a real test of their Scion tC’s true durability. The team will be competing in three series in a single day! In Time Trial, the team is looking for wins in TTC, while in Performance Touring, the Scion is readying to battle it out in PTC. And on top of it all, the Scion will be taking the grid in E1 in NASA’s first WERC series endurance race that straddles the night.
Driver Dan Gardner is teaming with endurance racing veteran Scott Webb, for what should be a memorable performance. Webb’s experience in this type of racing is top notch, making for a potent driver pairing.
"Our Scion tC has been fast and getting faster," said Gardner. "But speed is nothing without rock-solid reliability. That goes for almost any form of motorsport, but is especially critical in road racing. We’re going to really put the tC through a torture test this weekend at Buttonwillow. The WERC series is fiercely competitive and will be a new challenge for us and Scion, as we look to grab points throughout the year. We’ve made some new mods specifically for the series, and can’t wait to show what we’re made of."
As far as modifications go, in endurance racing, one of the most key components is the fueling system. Gardner and the team went to great lengths to ensure that the pitstop goes as quickly as possible. Changes to the filling system in the car as well as the construction of special fuel jugs should allow the team to rocket through the pit stops, saving many seconds or possibly even minutes.
Since the first WERC race finishes under cover of darkness, lighting was critical. Pilot Automotive was up to the challenge, supplying the team with 4 HID Xenon driving lamps. These will show the way -- shining farther, pointing at the apexes, and creating a light more like daylight than any halogen possibly could.
Event details are as follows:
24551 Lerdo Highway
Buttonwillow, CA 93206
Sprint Race Begins at 3:25 p.m.
Enduro from 6:30-9:30 p.m.
The JD Scion tC team uses
- Scion-supplied OE parts
- TRD-supplied supercharger and intercooler, front big brake kit
- Pilot Automotive HID driving lamps
- Nitto 235/40R17 NT-01 tires
- Enkei RPF1 17x8 wheels
- OS Giken Super Lock Limited Slip Differential (LSD)
- Dezod-supplied AEM standalone engine management, plug-and-play harness, injectors, end links, and stainless clutch line
- Church Automotive Testing dyno tuning
- Moton Suspension remote reservoir coilover shocks
- Vogtland springs
- Progress Technology rear swaybar and camber kits
- Motul brake fluid, engine oil, transmission fluid, and super coolant
- Racepak IQ3 logger dash
- AEM sensors and EMS
- Kaminari carbon-fiber roof and composite headlights
- Royalty Auto Body body work
- America’s Tire Co. tire mounting and balancing
- Racetech Viper head-restraint race seat and 6-point harnesses
- Centerforce clutch and low-inertia steel flywheel
- AIT carbon-fiber hood and hatch
- Wild Pony Motorsports-supplied camber/caster plates
- Goodridge stainless brake lines and oil cooler and fuel system fittings and lines
- Carbotech XP10 and XP8 brake pads
- G-Force 5-point harnesses, racing suit, gloves, and helmet
- DC Sports header
- Energy Suspension bushings and motor mounts
- HoseTechniques silicone hoses
- turn3 clothing
- NST 65-mm supercharger pulley and shifter bushings
Jackson-Dawson Communications (JD) is a 28-year-old privately held company that provides creative and strategic services to a range of national clients. Core competencies include retail training, event marketing, marketing services, business theater, video and media production services, meeting planning, print graphic and design services, staging service and vehicle management.
With corporate offices in Detroit, MI, Jackson-Dawson also maintains offices in Torrance, CA, Manhattan, NY, and Spring Hill, TN. Jackson-Dawson owns and operates several divisions: Peloton Creative Group, BenMar Communications, Drivers Talk Radio and Drivers Talk Testing.