Torrance, CA - The tC sports coupe and team that started as the world’s first Scion to take a national podium in road racing, now prepare to take a huge step forward. Dan Gardner and the Jackson-Dawson Scion team have their sights set on fierce competition, as they become the first-ever Scion team to compete in a professional road race series. The Scion tC and the team will make their debut in the highly-competitive Grand-Am KONI Challenge series this weekend at Mid-Ohio Sportscar Course in Lexington, Ohio. "It’s really an amazing but crazy feeling," said driver and team manager, Gardner. "Every person that’s touched this program, that’s helped make it what it is today, deserves heaps of praise. We’ve always believed the tC to be a fantastic platform, but let’s face it, no one really knew what it would take to make it ready for the big time. On Sunday when we take the starting grid, on perhaps the biggest production road racing stage in North America, we’ll remember why we all worked so hard." The pro racing effort will be fielded by the immensely talented and successful BGB Motorsports team, one of the most respected teams in all of KONI Challenge. BGB was chosen for their track record, but also for their meticulous attention to detail and their reputation for superb race strategy.
"We’re excited to be a part of this factory-backed effort," said BGB team manager, John Tecce. "It’s not every day you get to field a car that’s making history by being the first of its kind. Scion and TRD have shown great commitment to this program, and we’re just happy to be a part of it." Toyota’s own in-house performance division, Toyota Racing Development (TRD), has been a great help to the team this season. TRD has long been associated with both professional and grassroots racing. Several TRD parts on the JD racecar are available to all Scion owners through Scion dealerships.
"Our brand of performance parts and accessories really are meant to perform at the highest level," said Gary Boler, TRD business operations manager. "It doesn’t get much higher than this in terms of production-based road racing. The tC is a great car, but it can always be made better with a few TRD components. The supercharger kit on the JD car is one great example of that." The Scion tC will be taking on a humongous field of over 50 entries in the exciting Street Tuner (ST) Class. Cars range from Mazda RX8s, to BMW 330s…Chevrolet Cobalts to Acura TSXs. All in all, over 10 manufacturers will be vying for points.
"It will be with great pride that we see our Scion tC mixing it up at the pinnacle of road racing competition," said Steve Hatanaka, Scion auto shows and special events manager. "The KONI Challenge battles are fierce; it’s going to be exciting!"
The JD Scion tC is currently fitted with:
- Scion-supplied OE parts
- TRD-supplied supercharger and intercooler, front big brake kit, and limited-slip diff.
- Nitto 235/40R17 NT-01 tires
- Enkei RPF1 17x8 wheels
- Dezod-supplied AEM standalone engine management, plug and play harness, injectors, end links, and stainless clutch line
- Church Automotive Testing dyno tuning
- Moton Suspension coilover shocks
- Vogtland springs
- Progress Technology rear swaybar
- Motul brake fluid, engine oil, transmission fluid, and super coolant
- Racepak IQ3 logger dash
- AEM sensors
- Kaminari carbon fiber roof and composite headlights
- Royalty Auto Body body work
- America’s Tire Co. tire mounting and balancing
- Racetech Viper head-restraint race seat and 6-point harnesses
- Centerforce clutch and low inertia steel flywheel
- AIT carbon fiber hood
- Wild Pony Motorsports-supplied camber/caster plates
- Goodridge stainless brake lines and oil cooler and fuel system fittings and lines
- Carbotech XP10 and XP8 brake pads
- G-FORCE 5-point harnesses, racing suit, gloves, and helmet
- DC Sports Header
- Energy Suspension bushings and motor mounts
- HoseTechniques silicone hoses
- M-Workz alignment and corner balancing
- turn3 clothing
- NST shifter bushings and pulley
Jackson-Dawson Communications (JD) is a 25-year-old privately held company that provides creative and strategic services to a range of national clients. Core competencies include retail training, event marketing, marketing services, business theater, video and media production services, meeting planning, print graphic and design services, staging service and vehicle management.
With corporate offices in Detroit, MI, Jackson-Dawson also maintains offices in Torrance and Irvine, CA, Manhattan, NY, and Spring Hill, TN. Jackson-Dawson owns and operates several divisions: Peloton Creative Group, BenMar Communications, Drivers Talk Radio and Drivers Talk Testing.